Ok, so I didn't think to Blog this until AFTER I had eaten! LOL So no pics to go with, but I'll tell you its just as pretty as it tastes! LOL
Spanish rice is one of my most favorite foods! I learned to cook it from my mother. She makes really gooood spanish rice. Over the years I changed up the way I was doing it, and I got lazy a lot of times, and i started to really dislike my rice. I just didn't want to eat it. So, recently at church I was talking with one of the ladies who happens to be our "resident church spanish rice and tortilla maker" LOL I always request rice and tortillas from her when we have a fellowship dinner because her rice is ALWAYS wonderful! So I picked her brain one day and realized that the simple step I was being lazy on was the most important! BROWNING YOUR RICE! It is crucial if you want rice that doesn't turn into a sticky mess!
Ok, so I'll admitt I don't have a specific ingredient list. I'll just go through my steps and you can try it out.
First, get a large pan or pot. Whatever one you feel comfortable cooking with. It can't be a small sauce pot, has to be a wider one at least 10 inches. I prefer a 12 inch skillet with a lid!
Add about 2tbsp oil. I use EVOO, use whatever you have though. Add your rice-long grain white (or I love to use brown, but it takes forever to cook, and doesn't apply to this post!). I just eyeball it, but if you don't know how to eyeball your rice:water ratio then measure for sure! Follow the rice:water ratio on your rice package. Over a med-high heat start to brown the rice. Be sure to stay by it as you are doing this, you don't want to burn the rice. Keep it moving, once it starts to brown it will go quickly. You want as much as the rice to have browned as possible. Do NOT skip this step. If you don't brown the rice properly you will end up with mush. Ewww! Once the rice is browned add your water, spices (I prefer salt & pepper to taste, 2tbsp of chili powder, 2 shakes of ground cumin, 5 good shakes of chicken/tomato bullion powder, 1tbsp garlic powder). Now add your tomato/peppers/onions if you choose. If I don't have fresh on hand I'll just toss in a can of rotel drained. If I DO have some on hand I'll dice up about 3 roma tomatoes, one small onion, and 1 or 2 (depending on the heat) jalapeno peppers. MMMMM! Yummmy!
Bring to boil and reduce heat to low or med-low depending on your stove. Cover, and let cook for 20 minutes.
In the end you should have delicious spanish rice. The rice should be "dry" and shouldn't be sticky at all. It should fluff easily with a fork and all the water should be gone from your pan/pot.
Serve it with tacos, fajitas, enchiladas, or if you are like me...In a bowl..all by itself! LOL
Enjoy-
Sheila
Sunday, June 6, 2010
Spanish Rice
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment