So yesterday Larry and I decided to stop by an old Dairy in town that the guy raises all types of birds. We were out looking for some now chickens. When we stopped by I at first didn't realize that it would be like taking the kids on a Field Trip. -Note to self, when planning home-school field trips put the old dairy on the list! This place was so cool. First it was like walking into a Jungle with tons of Cages. He had different cages for different birds. He had Peacocks, beautiful colored ones, and even a pure white one! Turkeys, Guineas (sp?), Chickens, Quail, Ducks, Pheasants...and I'm not even sure if I'm missing some! It was crazy, the Sounds coming from there were wild! The kids were loving it! Then we went back and looked at the teeny babies, which led us to the incubator that Alyssa LOVED. She remembered from Uncle George's house that Baby Chickens come out of the eggs and she was just watching and waiting! HAHA, there was one baby Turkey that had a bad wing, and the guy was waiting to see if he had to put it down. Alyssa got to hold it and fell in love. Too bad the poor thing most likely wasn't going to make it.
Thursday, May 20, 2010
Bittersweet
So after our tour of the "zoo" we picked out 4 new chickens, and 1 turkey! We don't know the sex of any of them, so it shall be interesting until we figure that out. They are about 3 weeks old right now. Assuming we have hens, the Reds should lay us some brown eggs, and the B&W will lay us either green or blue. That is exciting! I can't wait to find out!
Now the Turkey....I have plans for him...not sure if I'll be able to follow through, but he just might be Thanksgiving dinner!!!
The Bittersweet part? Well, we had 3 hens at home when we left, and came home to only 1. I'm not sure where my other two went. We had them free ranging, so I'm assuming something got a hold of them. Now my one hen, and my babies are all in the Coop.
Ok enough Gabbing lets get to the pics!
This is one of my Reds, the other looks very similar.
My Black and White. There are 2 of these Also
My Turkey! He (she?) didn't want to sit on my hand!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment